The Historian and Her Day

I wasn’t yet born when Jack Hexter wrote “The Historian and His Day.” By the time I was in MY early forties and teaching in a minor college, the world had changed significantly. The day of a historian in the 1990s—a female historian with three young children—did not begin with a leisurely scan of the newspaper headlines over breakfast, and it certainly did not end at midnight, after countless uninterrupted hours of intellectual work.
I too rose early. My first class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday was at 8:30, but before my husband and I could make our way to the college where we both taught, we had to pack lunches, get our son off to elementary school, and drop our daughters at the daycare center on campus. At lunchtime, I hurried over to the daycare center to nurse our baby. Conversations with colleagues took place on the fly, although my husband and I talked shop a good deal of the time at home, in and around “domestic matters.”
Somehow I managed to carve out time to read, research, think, and write about my scholarly field: 19th- and 20th-century France. But, in contrast to Hexter, I could not keep the clutter of my present-day life from intruding upon the past events I studied. Was this a bad thing?
I take heart from Hexter’s recognition that “each historian brings to the rewriting of history the full range of the remembered experience of his own days, that unique array that he alone possesses and is.” This is true, in my case, although maybe not in the way he meant.
I do find that my historical investigations have been influenced by my real-life experiences. My first book explored the cultural meaning of suicide, beginning in antiquity and continuing right up to the present. I chose the topic because I’d been haunted since childhood by the suicide of my grandfather, whom I’d never met (he killed himself during the Depression, when my father was a boy). As a parent, I wondered how he could have abandoned his family.
More insights came through my work as a counselor on a suicide hotline. Listening to the reasons callers gave for wanting to end their lives, I was struck by their willfulness. Many were depressed—and who could blame them, hearing their problems? But these people were anything but victims. They saw dying as their only means of reclaiming control over their lives, and of course it was my job to convince them that there were less drastic ways of solving their problems.
These insights led me to challenge our society’s most comforting assumption about suicide: that individuals who kill themselves are entirely passive, that they do not seriously intend to die. But as I explored the sources of this assumption, I was guided by Hexter’s commandments for responsible historical inquiry:
  1. Do not go off half-cocked.
  2. Get the story straight.
  3. Keep prejudices about present-day issues out of this area.
Present-mindedness, I would say, need not lead to sloppy scholarship. Caught up in the preoccupations of his or her day, the historian can ask questions about the past that help us to make sense of today’s world.

____________________
Lisa Lieberman is the author of Leaving You: The Cultural Meaning of Suicide. Her translation of Jean-Paul Sartre's essay, "Paris Under the Occupation" can be purchased for $1.99 through Amazon Kindle Books, Apple Bookstore Quick Reads, Barnes and Noble Nook Books and Google Books. Lost Belongings, her current nonfiction project, tells how Holocaust survivors coped with irretrievable loss.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the essay by Hexter to which you're responding, but maybe I don't need to. I certainly got something out of reading your thoughts on their own. For one, despite having corresponded with you briefly on other topics, I don't recall ever having learned what led you to write Leaving You; if it's mentioned in the book itself, I had forgotten, caught up in the great import of its main matter. Incidentally, I was led to study suicide in part because of the memory of a high-school friend who died that way. I wonder how many people who lack direct experience of it ever come to question present-day cultural assumptions about it. A good number, I hope.

    Your text here also reminded me of what has long seemed to me oppressive about the roles that men and women were expected to take up in America of the 50s, when my parents wed, and before (also, to a great extent, after the 50s). As a result, I look on the 50s, the decade of my birth, with something approaching horror, but the details of that are another story.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, John. I think that loss, and traumatic experiences in general, can lead to the kind of questioning you describe. When personal history intersects with broad cultural concerns, like attitudes toward dying, all of a sudden we've got a stake in the discussion. We know something, or feel we understand the issues as others, who have not lived through them, do not.

    As a historian, though, I feel a responsibility to examine my subject thoroughly, and not to go in looking to prove something I've decided in advance is the answer to whatever questions I've posed. As for being completely objective, well, I fear that's impossible. Present-day concerns, both personal and cultural, determine the questions we ask of the material; the data does not speak for itself. The more familiar you are with a period or a topic, the better your instincts become, but I've always seen history as an art, not a science.

    ReplyDelete